Who We Are
The Beach Canal Lighthouse Group (BCLG) is a not-for-profit organization incorporated under the Ontario Historical Society. Its goal is to bring together people who are interested in the preservation and interpretation of the Burlington Canal Light Station, comprising the 1858 stone tower and the adjacent 1857 brick keeper’s cottage.
Shorter-Term Plans for the Light Station
In 2017, the BCLG accepted a proposal put forward by the Hamilton Port Authority (now the merged Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority) to secure ownership of the lighthouse and keeper’s cottage from the federal government and then negotiate a lease agreement with the BCLG. The transfer of both buildings is finally expected to take place in 2022. In 2021 the BCLG in partnership with HOPA agreed to the relocation of the stone tower about 300’ to the west onto the Fisherman’s Pier land owned by HOPA, where it will serve as the centrepiece of a redeveloped public area, enhanced landscaping and public amenities. This will allow the lighthouse to be made publicly accessible, which would not have been possible if left in its current location adjacent to the lift bridge. The keeper’s cottage will remain in situ on land owned by the federal government and will also be opened to the public once restored. Urgent maintenance work was begun on the cottage in the fall of 2021. Restoration work will begin on both structures once the formal transfer of ownership has taken place and sufficient funds have been secured.
It is anticipated that on-site interpretation will first take place in an outdoor setting possibly combined with a small temporary building, to provide shelter and a place to mount displays. A much longer-term goal is to build a visitor centre combined with a maritime museum to more broadly interpret the history of the lighthouse and keeper’s cottage and the Burlington Canal as well as the development of Hamilton Harbour as a major port. Such a facility would provide space for the display of related documents and artefacts.